- 6 lamb shanks,
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 12-20 black olives
- 2-4 tbsp capers 1 cup dried figs
- 1 cup SAL Lime and Fig jam
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed but not peeled
- 750ml bottle Merlot approx 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef or chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate lamb shanks in deep dish with onions, celery, olives, capers, dried figs, rosemary, black pepper and garlic and pour over the wine. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Remove shanks from marinade and set aside. Heat oil in frying pan and brown the shanks on all sides. Transfer to casserole.
Add tomato paste to pan with Lime and Fig jam and stock and bring to the boil.
Pour over lamb shanks and add reserved marinade ingredients
Cover casserole and cook at 160 degrees C for 2- 2 ½ until meat is almost falling off the bone.
Serve with oven bag Greek potatoes and fresh greens.