- 6 lamb shanks,
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 12-20 black olives
- 2-4 tbsp capers 1 cup dried figs
- 1 cup SAL Lime and Fig jam
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed but not peeled
- 750ml bottle Merlot approx 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef or chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate lamb shanks in deep dish with onions, celery, olives, capers, dried figs, rosemary, black pepper and garlic and pour over the wine. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Remove shanks from marinade and set aside. Heat oil in frying pan and brown the shanks on all sides. Transfer to casserole.
Add tomato paste to pan with Lime and Fig jam and stock and bring to the boil.
Pour over lamb shanks and add reserved marinade ingredients
Cover casserole and cook at 160 degrees C for 2- 2 ½ until meat is almost falling off the bone.
Serve with oven bag Greek potatoes and fresh greens.
- 2kg mussels, scrubbed
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, mid-ribs remove, sliced finely
- 2 stems lemon grass, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths and bruised
- 2 green chillies, halved lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced finely
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp SAL Lemongrass Drizzle
- 1tsp honey
- 150ml light coconut milk
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the kaffir lime leaves lemon grass and chillies and stir-fry over a medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the mussels and stir. Cover and cook until all have opened, shaking the pan once ot twice, removing mussels as they open. Remove from the heat and spoon the mussels into serving bowls; discard any that have not opened. Stir in the lime juice, SAL Drizzle and honey and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the coconut milk until heated.
Spoon the sauce over the mussels and serve.
Combine all ingredients into an oven bag, making sure potatoes are covered with other ingredients.
Bake at 200c for an hour, check regularly, as they can brown quickly.
Scrumptious with any meats or as a cold potato salad
- 2 kg chicken pieces, skin removed.
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- large pinch saffron threads, toasted and crushed.
- 700ml chicken stock or water
- 115g Kalamata olives
- 2 SAL Preserved Limes, (pith removed) washed, chopped.
- Large bunch coriander, chopped
- Large bunch parsley, chopped
Brown chicken in large fry pan, transfer to casserole dish.
Saute onion until softened. Crush garlic with pinch of salt, work in ginger, cinnamon, saffron and little pepper. Stir into onions and continue cooking until fragrant.
Place over top of chicken in casserole dish, add stock or water and chopped SAL Preserved Limes.
Cook in moderate oven for 1 ¼ hours, turning chicken pieces once or twice during that time. Add olives, coriander and parsley, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until chicken very tender.
Remove chicken pieces and keep warm. Reduce juices down to a rich sauce, and pour over chicken pieces.
Serve with Lime Oven bag potatoes or Couscous.
- 1 leg of Lamb
- fresh rosemary or thyme
- sliced preserve limes – washed 3- 4
- cloves garlic
- baking paper and string
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Insert cloves of garlic into meat and coat top of joint with fresh herbs.
Pour a little olive oil over meat
Cover top and bottom with sliced preserved limes
Wrap well in baking paper so it forms a closed parcel and tie with string all over to secure
Bake for 3 hours in a 150c so that the meat falls off the bone.
Serve hot with Lime Oven bag potatoes.
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbsp SAL Lime and Chilli Plash
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup coriander
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- freshly ground salt and pepper
Make slashes in chicken. Combine plash, honey, garlic, coriander, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper to make marinade.
Place chicken in marinade for a least 3 hours covering well. Remove from marinade and place on well heated grill for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Serve with Coriander and Lime Yogurt Dressing.